About Impact Justice
Impact Justice is a national innovation and research center advancing new ideas and solutions for justice reform. We work to dramatically reduce the massive number of youth and adults in our justice system, improve conditions and outcomes for those who are incarcerated, and provide meaningful opportunities for formerly incarcerated people to rejoin their communities.
Please see our website at https://impactjustice.org/ for more information.
The Job/Summary Position Description
This is an exciting opportunity for a strong writer who is looking to expand their development skills in a fast-growing nonprofit. The Senior Grant Writer will work closely with the Associate Director of Development, taking the lead on proposal writing for the organization while helping to build an overall institutional fundraising strategy.
Grant Writing, Management, and Strategy
- Serves as lead writer for major foundation and government grant proposals, LOI’s, and concept papers across Impact Justice, although this position will focus primarily on our Impact/Innovations portfolio. Meets with program teams to develop proposal strategies and to gather relevant information.
- Prepares, packages, and submits all grant proposals and reports. Acquires and organizes all supporting materials and attachments; works with the finance team to secure budgets and financial attachments. Manages grants calendar to ensure timely submission.
- Oversees grants management in database (Salsa CRM); tracks pipeline, proposal, and report deadlines. Manages proposal drafting process in Salsa and/or appropriate grants management software.
- Maintains complete library of standard proposal language, applications, and attachments.
- Reviews and updates proposal data regularly to ensure it demonstrates clear needs and impact.
Institutional Cultivation & Stewardship
- Maintains relationships with grants staff at foundations and in government offices to provide updates on deliverables and identify new funding opportunities.
- Assists program teams with reporting on grant-related metrics and impact to funders.
- Works with the development team to creatively connect institutional funders with our mission and programs.
- Conducts prospect research on individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Keeps current with announcements of funding opportunities for both new and existing funders.
- Tracks and disseminates news and information about top institutional prospects.
- Exceptional writing skills; consistent experience with grant writing and reporting.
- Ability to synthesize program design, needs, and impact into clear, persuasive narrative.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; initiates and enjoys communication with funders as well as internal staff and leadership.
- Working knowledge of general grants management practices in a nonprofit environment.
- Strong research skills; ability to navigate online directories and databases with ease.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Positive, solutions-oriented approach to problem-solving.
- Effective project and people management skills – ability to work independently and across multiple program teams.
- Demonstrated time management skills, including the ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize deadlines
- Proficiency with standard office technology/software and web applications.
- Experience with program design and evaluation
- Experience with CRMs
- General understanding of criminal/social justice issues
Location and Schedule
Location: U.S.- can be remote or in one of our offices in Oakland or Washington, DC
Work schedule: Full-time, at 40 hours per week.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Generous benefits package, including medical, dental, FSA plans, and 401k
- Generous vacation and wellness leave
- Flexible work environment
We know there are great candidates who may not think they fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
To apply, please submit your resume, a one-page cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in the position, a writing sample, and salary requirements to SeniorGrantWriter@impactjustice.org. Please have the subject line of the email read “[Your Last Name], [Your First Name] Application for Senior Grant Writer Position.” The application deadline is 7/31/2020 – Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. The anticipated start date for the position is 9/1/2020.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted within the month following the application deadline.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Impact Justice provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race/ethnicity, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, criminal history, or disability. We work closely with communities of color, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, questioning, gender nonconforming, and transgender communities, the formerly incarcerated, and former foster youth. Those with lived experience in these communities are strongly encouraged to apply.