About Impact Justice
Impact Justice is a national innovation and research center advancing new ideas and solutions for justice reform. We work to dramatically reduce the massive number of youth and adults in our justice system, improve conditions and outcomes for those who are incarcerated, and provide meaningful opportunities for formerly incarcerated people to rejoin their communities.
Please see our website at https://impactjustice.org/ for more information.
The Job/Summary Position Description
Impact Justice seeks a strong writer, editor, and copyeditor to improve the quality and consistency of publicly released materials across the organization and its projects. Core functions of the job include:
- Writing and editing written materials, ranging from website content and email communications to grants and programmatic reports;
- Building and applying organization and program-level style guides;
- Contributing to strategic planning and design conversations to support the development of audience specific and accessible materials.
The majority of the incumbent’s time will be devoted to the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) portfolio, with the remainder of their time spent on the wider needs of Impact Justice and its other projects.
Responsibilities for Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) portfolio (60%):
Draft and edit various materials to meet a consistently high standard of writing and presentation excellence:
- Materials released by the PREA Resource Center (PRC): a national training clearinghouse supporting the movement to end sexual abuse in confinement, including:
- Website content
- Content for reports, curricula, trainings, and draft proposals and presentations prepared for national audiences
- Meeting agendas and briefing materials
- Materials generated by the PREA Targeted Implementation Planning and Support (TIPS) grant program, including:
- Draft statements of work/project plans
- Coaching reports and grantee profiles
- Draft curricula, posters, other PREA materials
- Materials generated by the PREA Site-Based portfolio, including:
- Tools such as a needs assessment and implementation plan templates
- Resource publications and presentations
- Draft curricula, posters, solicitation and applications, and other PREA materials
Responsibilities for Impact Justice Communications (40%):
- Grant and report writing and editing
- Website, social media, newsletter, and other content development
- Assist management of digital assets
- Support organizational and project strategic communications planning and execution
- Other special writing/editing projects as assigned
- 5+ years of demonstrated professional research/writing/editing experience, including experience writing for US government agencies such as the Department of Justice and/or state or local correctional agencies
- Proficient in AP Style
- Strong personal time management skills – ability to manage and prioritize many tasks across multiple projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with various stakeholders, including internal staff and leadership, governmental and correctional representatives, formerly incarcerated people, and other constituents
- Effective project and people management skills – ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Positive, solutions-oriented approach to problem-solving
- Proficiency with standard office technology/software and web applications
- Demonstrated interest in the criminal legal system and social justice work
- Bachelor’s degree in English, literature, journalism, or similar discipline or equivalent experience
Location: Oakland, CA or Washington, DC
Work schedule: Full-time, at 40 hours per week
Compensation and Benefits
- The salary range for this position is $78,000 – $81,000. Salary is commensurate with experience
- Generous benefits package, including medical, dental, FSA plans, and 401k
- Generous vacation and wellness leave
- Flexible work environment
We know there are great candidates who may not think they fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
To apply, please submit:
- Your resume
- A cover letter explaining your qualifications, interest in the position, and salary requirements
- Two relevant writing samples. Examples include government reports or presentations, grant proposals, and web content
Please submit the documents to SrCommsSpecialist@impactjustice.org. Please have the subject line of the email read “[Your Last Name], [Your First Name] Application for Senior Communications Position.” The application deadline is 02/28/2020 – Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. The anticipated start date for the position is 04/06/2020.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted within the month following the application deadline.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Impact Justice provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race/ethnicity, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, criminal history, or disability. We work closely with communities of color, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, questioning, gender nonconforming, and transgender communities, the formerly incarcerated, and former foster youth. Those with lived experience in these communities are strongly encouraged to apply.