The National PREA Resource Center (PRC) is a project of Impact Justice (IJ), funded through a cooperative agreement with the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA), Office of Justice Programs (OJP), at the Department of Justice (DOJ). The PRC serves as the national source for online and direct support, training, technical assistance, and research to assist adult and juvenile corrections, detention, law enforcement, and other professionals in their ongoing work to implement the National Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) Standards and reduce sexual abuse in confinement settings.
Impact Justice is a national innovation and research center advancing new ideas and solutions for justice reform. We work to dramatically reduce the massive number of youth and adults in our justice system, improve conditions and outcomes for those who are incarcerated, and provide meaningful opportunities for formerly incarcerated people to rejoin their communities.
Summary Position Description
The PRC seeks a specialized expert to serve as a Senior Advisor on a part time (60%) and temporary basis through January 2020. The position may be located in IJ’s Oakland, California or Washington, DC offices; remote status will be considered for highly qualified candidates.
This position will contribute specialized expertise to the PRC’s audit program evaluation and oversight efforts. Responsibilities will include revising objectives, evaluation metrics, and testing for the PRC’s auditor training and certification program; and supporting the development and implementation of PREA audit oversight functions such as audit documentation and peer reviews. The Senior Advisor may also support the development of written training resources and tools for auditor training and continuing education, the revision of audit instruments or auditor handbook guidance, providing technical assistance and support to probationary and certified PREA auditors, and other tasks as assigned.
Audit Program Evaluation and Oversight (60%)
Supports the development and implementation of various program evaluation and oversight functions relating to the PREA audit and the PRC’s auditor training and certification programs.
- Assesses the auditor training and certification program to revise learning objectives, performance metrics, evaluation criteria and/or testing measures for each phase of the PREA auditor training program (classroom, Field Training Program, and probationary review), and PREA Auditor recertification process.
- Supports the protocol development and ongoing operation of the audit oversight program, which will include reviewing complex audit reports, sets of audit documentation, and related audit data sets, and for strengths and weaknesses of auditor practice and audit performance with focus on auditors’ interpretation of the PREA Standards and the application of the Standards to particular confinement facility practices.
- Review draft audit reporting materials and provide detailed feedback on their written work to auditor trainees, probationary certification status auditors, and fully certified auditors as part of AQI’s continuous quality improvement process.
- Support the implementation and ongoing development of the audit Peer Review process, including assistance with the coordination of the Peer Review program, review and selection of Peer Reviewer candidates, development and delivery of Peer Reviewer training and refreshers, development of Peer Review resources (for Peer Reviewers and auditors in Peer Review), assistance with oversight of Peer Reviewers and their work product, preparing materials for DOJ’s PREA Management Office (PMO) and PRC senior leadership regarding the Peer Review process.
- Assist with the compilation of comprehensive case histories and related information to support PMO’s audit oversight activities.
- Support ongoing strategic development of AQI processes and functions, and assist AQI leads in ensuring cross-project communication and interaction.
- Assist in the development of substantive auditor online continuing education and professional development content.
- Contributes to audit instrument and auditor handbook revision efforts via review, drafting and to ensure consistency between handbook guidance, instrument, and oversight protocols.
Level of Authority:
This position requires a high level of autonomy, communication, mentoring, and accountability. The Senior Advisor will report to the Associate Director and will also work closely with other programmatic and administrative staff, and with consultants and advisors to the PRC.
Requires periodic travel to training events and/or meetings in DC; up to 10%.
- Advanced degree and/or 10+ years relevant professional experience
- Expertise in program evaluation
- Expertise on corrections and detention operations and policy
- Advanced knowledge of the PREA standards and of the Department of Justice (DOJ) implementation guidance on the PRC website FAQ page
- Demonstrated understanding of the dynamics of sexual abuse, sexual harassment, and sexual victimization in confinement settings
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the PREA audit methodology, and at least some relevant training on the PREA audit
- Demonstrated background and/or interest in criminal justice reform and the mission of Impact Justice
- Commitment to the human rights and safety of people in confinement
- Refined critical, analytical, and interpretive thinking and problem-solving, and the ability to execute assignments in a way that demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of project and task objectives
- Strong organizational skills, including attention to detail and ability to develop and follow protocols
- Experience delivering training and technical assistance
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficiency in either Windows or Apple OS
- Ability to learn and become proficient in PRC’s dedicated technical systems, including Salesforce, the PRC’s Online Audit System, G-Suite of products, and others.
- Experience with/knowledge of SPSS, R, or similar statistical software packages
Equal Opportunity Employment
Impact Justice provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, criminal history, disability or genetics. We strongly encourage people of color, individuals who identify as part of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or queer communities, and individuals with experience in the criminal justice system to apply.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Generous benefits package, including medical, dental, FSA plans, and 401k
- Generous vacation and wellness leave
- Flexible work environment and schedule
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to PRCAO@impactjustice.org. Please have the subject line of the email read “[Your Last Name], [Your First Name] Application for IJ PRC AO Position.” Application deadline is May 24, 2019, midnight Eastern time. The anticipated start date for the position is July 8, 2019.