About Impact Justice
Impact Justice is a national innovation and research center advancing new ideas and solutions for justice reform. We work to dramatically reduce the massive number of youth and adults in our justice system, improve conditions and outcomes for those who are incarcerated, and provide meaningful opportunities for formerly incarcerated people to rejoin their communities.
Please see our website at https://impactjustice.org/ for more information.
The Job Summary/ Position Description
Impact Justice is seeking a Human Resources Manager to join our rapidly growing organization. This position will hold overall responsibility for the HR function at Impact Justice and will report to the Chief Operations Officer. This position will be a member of the organization’s Leadership Team and will work closely with managers and employees across the organization to develop and implement HR practices, including employee selection and onboarding, recordkeeping, benefits administration, compensation, performance management, and adherence to policies and procedures. This is a wonderful opportunity to build out a critical function in a dynamic and growing organization.
- Build on the existing base of HR practices, develop and implement a robust set of HR policies and procedures in accordance with state and federal law.
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices, including general risk mitigation for the organization and staff.
- Act as primary owner of Human Resources Information System (HRIS); maintain existing information and build out performance and compensation platform.
- Manage full cycle HR administration for managers and employees including hiring, onboarding, performance and compensation management, benefits, employee status changes, employee file maintenance and offboarding.
- Maintain deep understanding of all IJ benefits offerings to assist employees with benefits enrollment and questions, verify all insurance billing, and work closely with brokers to implement the annual Open Enrollment process.
- Timely and tactful response to all high level employee relations issues, seeking legal or outside counsel if needed.
- Act as liaison with Finance & Accounting on matters related to payroll, benefits, and HRIS administration.
- Ensure employee records are accurate, up-to-date and are compliant with Federal, State, and local regulations.
- Supervise the recruiting function
- Lead and/or participate in organization-wide projects.
- 4 years of professional training/education &/or closely-related experience
- 5 years experience in Human Resources administration including at least 2 years developing and implementing policy
- 2 years experience supervising other employees
- Knowledge of the core areas of HR, best practices, and related employment law
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to independently manage through ambiguity and find creative solutions to meet the organization’s needs
- Ability to partner effectively and influence across all levels of the organization
- An orientation in the ethos of social justice, racial justice and community
- Prior experience in building a Human Resource function in a nonprofit organization
- Experience developing and implementing organizational tools and systems
Location: Oakland, CA
Work schedule: Full time, 40 hours per week
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Generous benefits package, including medical, dental, FSA plans, and 401k
- Generous vacation and wellness leave
- Flexible work environment
We know there are great candidates who may not think they fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
To apply, please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to HRManager@impactjustice.org. Please have the subject line of the email read “[Your Last Name], [Your First Name] Application for HR Manager.” Rolling application deadline is Wednesday, 11/27/2019. The anticipated start date for the position is Monday, 12/16/2019.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted within the weeks following the application deadline.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Impact Justice provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race/ethnicity, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, criminal history, or disability. We work closely with communities of color, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, questioning, gender nonconforming, and transgender communities, the formerly incarcerated, and former foster youth. Those with lived experience in these communities are strongly encouraged to apply.