About Impact Justice
Impact Justice is a national innovation and research center advancing new ideas and solutions for justice reform. We work to dramatically reduce the massive number of youth and adults in our justice system, improve conditions and outcomes for those who are incarcerated, and provide meaningful opportunities for formerly incarcerated people to rejoin their communities.
Please see our website at https://impactjustice.org/ for more information.
The Job/Summary Position Description
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking to grow and expand their development skills in a fast-paced nonprofit setting. The Development Associate will work closely with the Associate Director of Development and with program teams across the organization to build a fundraising strategy while playing a critical role in the day-to-day operations of the development team.
- Conducts prospect research on individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Keeps current with announcements of funding opportunities for both new and existing funders.
- Tracks and disseminates news and information about top prospects and donors.
Grants Management, Writing, and Strategy
- Organizes grants management in the database; tracks pipeline, proposal, and report deadlines.
- Assists the Associate Director of Development and program teams with proposal drafting.
- Works across program teams to coordinate the drafting of grant reports.
- Prepares, packages, and submits all proposals and reports. Acquires and organizes all supporting materials; works with the finance team to secure budgets and financial attachments.
- Maintains a complete library of standard proposal language, applications, and attachments.
- Reviews and updates proposal data regularly to ensure it demonstrates clear needs and impact.
Donor Communications and Events
- Processes, records, and acknowledges all gifts and grants. Ensures timely entry of all gifts into the fundraising database (CiviCRM) and accurate delivery of acknowledgment letters and tax receipts to donors.
- Supports the development of new cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies (e.g. appeals, major gifts, corporate giving)
- Communicates with prospects and donors, as directed.
- Prepares internal and external communications and reports for funders, board members, etc.
- Assist with the creation and dissemination of materials for campaigns and solicitations.
- Assist with event planning for cultivation events, as needed, including preparing invites and tracking RSVPs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to initiate and enjoy communication with donors and stakeholders, as well as internal staff and leadership.
- Proven written communication skills; experience with grant writing and reporting strongly preferred.
- Strong research skills; ability to navigate online directories and databases with ease.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Positive, solutions-oriented approach to problem-solving.
- Effective project and people management skills – ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated time management skills, including the ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize deadlines
- Experience with CRMs preferred but not required.
- Proficiency with standard office technology/software and web applications.
- 1-2 years of development experience.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Generous benefits package, including medical, dental, FSA plans, and 401k
- Generous vacation and wellness leave
- Flexible work environment
Location: Oakland, CA or Washington, DC
Work schedule: Full-time, at 40 hours per week.
We know there are great candidates who may not think they fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
To apply, please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter explaining your qualifications, interest in the position and salary requirements to DevelopmentAssociateJob@impactjustice.org. Please have the subject line of the email read “[Your Last Name], [Your First Name] Application for Development Associate Position.” The application deadline is 02/7/2020 – applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. The anticipated start date for the position is 03/16/2020.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted within the month following the application deadline.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Impact Justice provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race/ethnicity, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, criminal history, or disability. We work closely with communities of color, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, questioning, gender nonconforming, and transgender communities, the formerly incarcerated, and former foster youth. Those with lived experience in these communities are strongly encouraged to apply.