About Impact Justice
Impact Justice dares to dream of a humane and restorative system of justice in the United States. Through innovation, research, policy, and advocacy, we are forging a new path to a justice system that is fair to all of us. In addition to our core programs around the enforcement of the Prison Rape Elimination Act, Restorative Justice, and the Research and Action Center, we are continually adding more to our portfolio of programs. Overall, we all work to reduce the number of individuals (adults and youth) entangled in the criminal justice system, to improve conditions and outcomes for those who are currently incarcerated, and to provide opportunities to those who are rejoining communities. We employ a national team of advocates, researchers, monitors, practitioners, and experts united by this vision. We work closely with communities of color; the lesbian, gay, bisexual, questioning, gender nonconforming, and transgender communities; the formerly incarcerated and former foster youth; and we are continually looking for opportunities to bring those with lived experience in those communities into our teams. A majority of individuals on our current executive team identify as BIPOC and/or LGBTQ. We’re committed to living our values and to creating the kinds of equitable and inclusive team environments internally that we fight to help create in our broader communities. Check us out at www.impactjustice.org.
The Job Summary/ Position Description
Impact Justice seeks to hire a Communications Associate (Comms/Media Strategist) to join its Oakland or Washington, DC team, though the position will be virtual until at least August 2021. The ideal candidate for this position is experienced in developing and implementing communications strategies and campaigns. Working closely with other Communications team members, the incumbent is responsible for leading content creation for the organization and its projects, building and deepening strong relationships with journalists, providing strategic communications counsel, and training program staff to integrate strategic communications lenses into their work. This position will report to the Senior Communications Manager.
Who You Are:
- A creative storyteller and adept editor.
- A compelling and resourceful writer with the ability to understand and explain complex topics.
- A strategist. You have a clear vision and can navigate any circumstance to achieve it.
- Keeps up to date with the news and able to create compelling hooks based on current trends.
- Experienced in developing relationships with reporters and editors. Persistent in your approach to establish and deepen these relationships.
- Responsible for crafting various types of content for organization and all program areas. Must be able to distill complex content into simple narratives. Examples of assets include:
- Web content/blog posts
- Fact sheets, FAQs, reports, other project and organizational assets
- Emails (including formatting, testing, sending): newsletter, announcements
- Press materials: media advisory, press release, pitches, op-eds
- Event descriptions/invites
- Fundraising communications in collaboration with Development team members
- Proactively develop story ideas, pitch, and place; develop and deepen relationships with reporters and editors
- Prepare briefing sheets for team members
- Provide media training for team members
- Develop and update media lists, track media hits
- Develop content such as press releases, media advisories, op-eds, and submissions
In collaboration with the Senior Communications Manager, the incumbent will:
- Partner with program leads in the execution of communications strategies, media outreach plans, and other campaigns and initiatives
- Maintain up-to-date understanding of the media landscape, reviewing and analyzing relevant coverage, observing trends across the media landscape, and using these insights and opportunities to elevate the work of the organization and its projects
- Train and support program staff to incorporate integrated strategic communications into their work in order to achieve wins
- Provide day-to-day strategic communications counsel to team members
Required Qualifications (Includes: Knowledge, skill, experience & education requirements; needs to be consistent with job description)
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English, or related degree (or commensurate work experience)
- 3 – 5 years public relations, writing, media relations, communications, journalism (can be combined)
- Demonstrated exceptional writing, editing and, verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to land earned media hits
- Able to execute across a variety of programs and initiatives concurrently
- Passion for creating original and compelling content
- Strong computer skills, such as Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Adobe Creative Suite or equivalent, prior use of Cision or other media database
- Working knowledge of website functionality
- Prior non-profit; social, racial, or criminal justice experience or other relevant experience preferred
- Must be flexible, able to learn quickly and work under deadline pressure
Location: Initially remote; prefer Oakland, CA or Washington, DC but open to fully remote for the right candidate
Work schedule: Full time, at 40-hrs per week
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary Range $65,000-75,000/year.
- Generous benefits package, including medical, dental, FSA plans, and 401k
- Generous vacation and wellness leave
- Flexible work environment
To apply, please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to CommsAssoc@impactjustice.org. Please have the subject line of the email read “[Your Last Name], [Your First Name] Application for Comms Associate.” Application deadline is May 21, 2021. The anticipated start date for the position is July 2021.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted within the month following the application deadline.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Note that we are committed to workplace diversity and providing equal employment opportunities. Please also note that we are going to be especially excited in candidates who understand the unique nature of a mission-driven organization, have direct experience with the criminal legal or juvenile justice legal systems, and have a good sense of humor about themselves and the complexities of collaborating with team members in remote locations.