(Full-Time Position in Oakland, CA or Washington, DC)
Impact Justice is a growing organization and focused on building the internal infrastructure we need to support the incredible work we do externally. IJ launched in 2015 and now has a staff of 85 and an $18 million dollar budget. We anticipate more growth in the future and we’re looking to expand our team. It’s the people at IJ who make everything we accomplish possible – and we’re looking to hire folks who are experts at Getting It Done!
Who We Are
Impact Justice dares to dream of a humane and restorative system of justice in the United States. Through innovation, research, policy, and advocacy, we are forging a new path to a justice system that is fair to all of us. In addition to our core programs around the enforcement of the Prison Rape Elimination Act, Restorative Justice, and the Research and Action Center, we are continually adding more to our portfolio of programs. Overall, we all work to reduce the number of individuals (adults and youth) entangled in the criminal justice system, to improve conditions and outcomes for those who are currently incarcerated, and to provide opportunities to those who are rejoining communities. We employ a national team of advocates, researchers, monitors, practitioners, and experts united by this vision. We work closely with communities of color, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, questioning, gender nonconforming, and transgender communities, the formerly incarcerated, and we are continually looking for opportunities to bring those with lived experience in those communities into our teams. A majority of individuals on our current executive team identify as BIPOC and/or LGBTQ. We’re committed to living our values and to creating the kinds of equitable and inclusive team environments internally that we fight to help create in our broader communities. Check us out at www.impactjustice.org.
The anticipated start date for this position is April 1, 2022. You will report into Kate Feeney, VP, Finance. Your core responsibilities will be:
The Associate Director of Finance will provide accounting and financial control work for the Finance Department, including AR and AP management, presentation of financial statements, government grant and contract compliance and oversight, audit support, and cash flow management. A critical portion of this role is people management ensuring supportive growth and development of finance team members across finance and accounting functions.
- Manages and oversees 2-4 staff including performance evaluations and development
- Assists Finance Director in resource and staffing management across Finance Department
- Assists in team development and standardization of training materials
- Maintains full integrity of all revenues, ensuring organization policies and procedures, as well as state and federal laws and regulations, are followed • Manages monthly reimbursement billing and collection process for government grants/contracts
- Develops procedures that ensure collections are complete and current
- Develops annual cash flow projections and supports in managing accounts payable process
- Maintains organization level budget, incorporating department by department budget information and actual expenditure to provide monthly budget v. actual reporting to Finance Director and other Executive Leadership
- Collaborates with department leads on a quarterly basis to update current forecast and support multi-year budgeting process
- Compiles fiscal estimates and prepares fiscal reports as requested, including high-level analysis of organization activity and trends
- Manages overall presentation of financial statements including maximizing direct cost allocations for review by executive leadership
- Oversees payroll and fringe benefits processes to provide optimal labor costing to various funding sources
- Ensures compliance with accounting procedures through observation, supervision, and testing.
- Manages annual single audit function
- Supports with annual negotiated indirect cost rate agreement process including development forecasting for proactive overhead management
- Supports in long term department goal setting and management of staff to achieve those goals
- Leads systems efforts including project management for Netsuite and HRIS system customization
- Uses data and KPIs to propose changes and improvements to management
- Excellent managerial skills and ability to evaluate the work of others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong-advanced knowledge and use of Excel
- Working knowledge of organization’s applicable financial practices and procedures, as well as a thorough understanding of state and federal rules and regulations.
- OMB or other government grant/contract management expertise
- A-133 Audit management
- Five years of management experience in finance with a similar organization (nonprofit)
- Proficiency in Netsuite/Oracle
The position will be paid $110,000 – $135,000. The benefits that come with working at Impact Justice include medical, dental, and FSA plans, significant vacation, holiday, COVID-19 and wellness leave, and immediate vesting in our 401K with a generous match. This is a full-time, salaried position. We would prefer that the candidate be located in either our Washington DC or Oakland CA office.
COVID-19 Vaccination is a condition of employment for all employees (office-based and remote). We require employees to be fully vaccinated and up to date per the CDC guidance. This position is not remote, however, currently IJ offices are open on a voluntary basis due to COVID- 19. We anticipate a phased-in return to office beginning May 2022. IJ will offer a hybrid schedule (i.e. some regular telework) even after the return to office.
If this all sounds like a good fit for you, please send your resume and a brief email or letter explaining why you are particularly interested in the role and why we should be particularly interested in you! You can send this to email@example.com. Please have the subject line of the email read “[Your Last Name], [Your First Name] Application for Associate Director of Finance.
We plan on making decisions on a rolling basis, so the earlier you apply the better.
Note that we are committed to workplace diversity and providing equal employment opportunities. Please also note that we are going to be especially excited in candidates who understand the unique nature of a mission-driven organization, have direct experience with the criminal legal or juvenile justice legal systems, and have a good sense of humor about themselves and the complexities of collaborating with team members in remote locations.